Thursday 19 September 2013

Guru night

Our tutors organised a Guru night for us to talk with past students and get advice about the year ahead and what they have been doing since they graduated. I thought this was a really helpful night and it made me feel a lot better talking to someone that had been through what we're going through right now (and got out alive!). My Guru was Megan Thomas which I was really excited about as her work was probably one of my favourites at the degree show, so it was lovely to meet the person who had created such beautiful work. I loved looking through her portfolio (just wanted to stick her work all over my walls!) and it was really interesting  and inspiring hearing about the commissions she's done and seeing the magazines her work has been in. Because a lot of her work included the female figure I wanted to ask about proportion and how to draw the figure. She gave me some good tips and told me about a few books to look at that would help me, as I love drawing girls/fashion illustration but I have trouble with proportion (face and body wise). She was saying to be successful in fashion illustration, its important to have a good understanding of the human body, so if its something id like to pursue and improve on, I need to study the body more and practise, practise, practise! Her work looks so professional, I hope one day my work might be up to that standard! As well as seeing all of her work and hearing about whats she's been up to after the degree, she also gave us advice about our final year; stay on top of things, get a diary/keep organised and be confident with your work.


All in all,  I found this night to be really useful and hope to be in touch with Megan again for a possible portfolio meet up! 




Go to www.megan-thomas.com to see all of her beautiful illustrations!


Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment